Como Park Senior High School Newsletter 9/23/2016
**Come to the All-School Open House/Title I Annual Meeting on September 27 from 5:30-7:00!**
- Thirty-six students attended WE Day on Tuesday, Sept 20th. WE Day celebrates students who have gone above and beyond in community service.
- The Instrumental Music Department hosted a visit by Dr. Daniel Albert, the new Music Education Professor at Augsburg College. He was greatly impressed by our talented students and expressed compliments on their ability to read music and rhythmic accuracy. We are looking forward to working together on clinics with Augsburg in March and will be working to collaborate in the near future.
- Como is proud to announce that Noah Hamilton has been named a 2017 National Merit Scholarship Semi-Finalist. Congratulations Noah on this prestigious accomplishment and being recognized as one of America's academically talented students!
Get Involved, Kids!
- Seniors you must get your one free photo taken by Photographer's Guild if you want to be in the yearbook. You can make an appointment at the studio 651-646-3239 or you can have your photo taken at Como on Thursday Oct. 27th. If you want to take your photo at Como sign up in room 1426 by Oct. 23 to reserve your time slot.
- The Kleenex Drive continues! We're asking Como families and friends to donate one box of Kleenex Tissues (or other brand) to help off set the costs staff spend on supplying tissues throughout the year. Help us reach our goal of 750 boxes of tissues! Drop off your donated tissue to the athletic or main office.
- We are looking for a few more good students who would like to become stronger, look sharper, display patriotism, have some great adventures, travel to new places, and overall build leadership Do you think you have what it takes? If so, come see us in room 1218, and talk to Major Foley or Sergeant Major Kirkland. Check out ROTC!
- Interested in joining an awesome club that offers leadership opportunities and fun outreach activities? Join BEASTBot Team 2855 - Como Park's Robotics Team! We are recruiting energetic and passionate young people and mentors to help us get to Championships this spring in St. Louis! Come to our informational meeting at 2:15 pm on Thursday, September 29 in room 1406. No technical experience required - we need everyone! Writers, designers, artists, performers - we are more than just robots! Check us out at www.beastbot2855.com, and on YouTube: https://goo.gl/rZnpE4.
- Homecoming is coming up on October 8th! T-shirts for classes are being sold during lunches. T-shirts are $10, with a cougar design on the front, and each class' graduation year on the back! The colors are:
- Students can also start signing up in the main office to be part of Battle of the Classes, which is the last hour of Friday, October 7th. Represent your class by participating in this friendly competition!
- Counseling News--Schedule changes:
- If students would like to make a schedule change they need to pick up a schedule change form in the counseling office.
- Students schedule changes beginning Tuesday, September 20th, will receive an "N" for the course they drop.
- Students requesting a change should bring a schedule form change to their teachers and parents for their signature.
- College visits in the CRC--Sign up for a pass on NAVIANCE:
- 9/22 at 9:00 College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University
- 9/26 at 10:45 University of Minnesota Twin Cities
Get Involved, Parents!
- CPSHS Open House and Title I Annual Meeting will be held on Tuesday, September 27 from 5:30-7:00. Come for a light supper at 5:30 and enjoy meeting teachers and touring the building. Also, learn how Como Park Senior High School benefits from the Federal Title I program and learn about the parent's right to know. Come for a fun evening!
- PARENTS OF SENIORS! Please attend the Senior Parent Meeting next Tuesday night, September 27, at 6:30 in the school library. The counselors will share inportant information about your student's senior year at Como. See you on Tuesday!
- Parents: Please complete and return the following important forms: Media Permission Slip; the Student Technology (IPad) Use Agreement and the Nutrition Services application form (all families are asked to complete this form regardless of income. It will provide funding support for the 2017-18 school year). All forms can be returned to the main office.
- We had grade level Welcome Assemblies at the last two Advisory Wednesdays. Students were reminded of the new four minute passing time, no hoodies in the hallway, transportation information, lunch application form, attendance and tardy policy, and appropriate school attire. Students also met representatives from administration, counseling, social worker, nurse, athletic director, and other support staff.
- Also, in an effort to balance the number of students per counselor caseload, students with the last name “S” is now split been Ms. Kronwall and Ms. Vang.
- Updated Alpha Assignment:
- Grant A-F
- Jacobson G-L
- Kronwall M-Sg
- Vang Sh-Z
- McCurdy (Johnson) Academy of Finance 12th and 9th (A-N)
- Thao Academy of Finance 10th, 11th and 12th (O-Z)
- SUPPORT COMO SOCCER EVENT - CPHS's Largest Sport! Saturday, Oct. 1st @ the Nickel Joint!!!
- CPHS Boys and Girls Soccer has grown to 130+. Please join in and raise funds to support the program at an all-you-can eat BBQ & Beverage event on Saturday, October 1st at the Nickel Joint (501 Blair Ave.) from 6-9p. Great food, prizes and of course, fun Como community! $15 tickets at the door.
- Please sign-up on the link below to donate a food item or monetary donations are always welcome!
- http://signup.com/go/ht7rBp Questions? Want to purchase advance $15 tickets? Contact Boys soccer Coach Jonah Fields: email@example.com or Girls Coach Kyle Johnson: firstname.lastname@example.org
- REPORTING STUDENT ABSENCE:
- Parent/guardian should notify the school attendance line at 651-744.5343 each day of an absence. The parent/guardian may also e-mail email@example.com or send a note with the student upon returning to school. The student needs to check in at the attendance center located at the front entry way before 7:30 a.m. when they return to school to get an admit slip for class. Students will be marked unexcused if the school has not been notified for the reason of the absence by phone, e-mail or note.
- Parent/guardian should notify Lori Nakamura, School Nurse, at 651.744.5355 if their student has been absent three or more days because of illness or a medical condition.
- Parent/guardian should notify Bonny Ellison, School Social Worker, at 651.744.5362 for three or more day’s absence other than medical or illness reasons.
- Parents/guardians can monitor their student’s attendance on parent portal. Go to comosr.spps.org to access parent portal.
- If parents/guardians are having difficulties getting their student to attend school/class they should contact Bonny Ellison, School Social Worker, at 651.744.5362. She will work with you in determining the underlying causes of the poor attendance and develop a plan for improved school attendance.
- From the Como Park High School Booster Club:
Thank you to everyone who came to our first meeting of the year, Monday, September 19th! We had a very nice group! Save the date for our next meeting: Monday, October 24th, 6:30 pm, AD Office (date change - please note).
We discussed ways in which everyone can be involved for our big community event: Homecoming 2016! Please sign up on our new volunteer page here: http://signup.com/go/Q2377
Step up for Booster Club!
We are in need of people willing to help out with a great group of folks to keep the "Boost" in the Booster Club:
- Co-chair (with Shawna Jones)
- Fundraising chair (new post)
- Co-Communications (with Margaret Hamburger)
- Fundraising chairs for Give to the Max (coming up in November)
- Co-Treasurer (with Laura LaCroix-Dalluhn)
- Volunteer coordinator (new post)
- Co-Urban Growler fundraising (with Ann Commers)
- Co-Hospitality chair (with Shayne Miller)
Upcoming Events-mark your calendar!
- All School Open House and Title I Annual Meeting: Tuesday, September 27, 5:30-7:00
- PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCES! Thursday, October 6, 4:00-7:00
- HOMECOMING: Saturday, October 8 Game is at 2:00 and the dance is at 7:00.
- Parent Academy Seminars: October 24 and November 7 Watch for details.
This e-mail has been sent to you by COMO PARK SR. To maximize their communication with you, you may be receiving this e-mail in addition to a phone call with the same message. If you no longer wish to receive email notifications from COMO PARK SR, please click here to unsubscribe.