Daniel Mesick, Principal
740 Rose Ave. W, St Paul, MN 55117
(651) 293-8800 | Get Directions
All papers shouldfollow MLA format.
Times, size 12, double-spaced
Heading: left side—name, teacher,class, date
Things to Avoid
· Personalpronouns (I, we, you) keep the essay formal
· Big,Huge, and Large—you can’t have a big theme or a huge image. Use more effectivewords like important, significant, meaningful etc. (use a thesaurus)
· Redundancyor repetition—no need to say the same idea multiple times in a slightlydifferent format.
· Emptywords—very, nice, good, etc.
· Startinga sentence with but or and
· Obviously,clearly, easy to see, etc. If something is obvious or clear then why are youanalyzing it?
· Blending—quotesshould flow w/ your own writing
He had to “drive the nails down and trim the edges” out of his life sothat he could make a comfortable living (234).
· Avoidusing lengthy quotes. Cut the quote to fit your needs. Quotes shouldn’t belonger than your own writing
· Try touse at least one quote per body paragraph and explain it
· Citation:for one author put the page number only in (parenthesis) at the end of thesentence followed by the period
· If yourquote is over four lines format as follows:
Indent 1” from the left and don’t use “quotation” marks
· Semicolon—functionsas a period. Anything following a semicolon must be a complete sentence.
· Apostrophesare used to show ownership. Please use them if the word is possessive and don’tuse them when it is not.
· Capitalization—pleasecapitalize proper nouns. (Hint: names)
· Usecomplete sentences—must have a subject and a verb
· Underline or Italicstitles of longer works—novels, movies,
· Use“Quotes” on title of shorter works—poems, songs
· Numbers1-10 should be written out and so should ok (okay)
· Whenwriting about literature always use present tense
· Whenreferring to an author mention their full name the first time and after thatonly use their last name
· Need tobe engaging and not formulaic
· Includetitle and author of the work
· Mustinclude a clear thesis
Explain yourexamples instead of just labeling them. Yes the sentence is a polysyndeton butso what...? Explain importance
Focus on a specifictheme, image, device, idea, etc. In a short essay stick with one idea and fullydevelop it.
Daniel Mesick, Principal | 740 Rose Ave W, St Paul, MN 55117 | (651) 293-8800 | Get Directions
Grades: 9-12 Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 2 p.m. Fax: (651) 293-8806