Daniel Mesick, Principal
740 Rose Ave. W, St Paul, MN 55117
(651) 293-8800 | Get Directions
The decision to close the school system due to extreme winter weather conditions is no simple matter. The safety and well being of students and staff is our top priority. The expectation is that schools will remain open, if at all possible, for uninterrupted student learning on scheduled school days.
Before a decision is made to close our school system Saint Paul Public Schools Superintendent Valeria Silva consults with a variety of experts both within and outside of the district. Throughout this process, we are committed to keeping our community informed of the latest actions as it pertains to the weather and possibilities of school closings and cancellations.
Please note, during inclement weather we are continually monitoring the situation. Our goal is to provide you and your families the best and most up-to-the-minute information possible.
As the annual season of snow is now upon us here is pertinent information that families need to know:
· School closures will be made public as soon as possible.
· Check the district’s website at http://www.spps.org/home for the most up-to-the minute updates.
· Check your individual school websites for current updates.
· A pre-recorded voice message will be on the district’s main number alerting callers of the closure.
· Families will also receive voicemail messages on their phones – please make sure the school has your current phone numbers.
· Tune in to local media – broadcast, print and online for information on school closures.
· Remember it is critical to check the district website daily during winter weather incidents that may span beyond one day.
What if schools are open but it is snowing heavily during the morning hours?
· The schools will dismiss at their usual times.
· Cancellation announcements of afterschool activities, early childhood special education classes, afternoon pre-kindergarten (4-year-old) programs, evening activities and field trips will be made as early as possible. Our goal is to make our decision public as soon as possible.
· The buildings will be staffed until all students have left for the day.
· Tune in to local media – broadcast, print and online for information on cancellation of after school programming, events, activities and field trips.
What if schools are open and it is continuously snowing with projections of a heavy snowfall as it gets later into the day?
· Cancellation announcements of afterschool activities, evening activities and field trips will be made as early as possible. Barring unforeseen circumstances, our goal is to make our decision public as soon as possible.
· Schools will dismiss at their usual times – no early releases.
· Buildings will be staffed until all students have left for the day.
· Check the district’s website at http://www.spps.org/home for the most up-to-the minute updates
· Tune in to local media – broadcast, print and online for information on cancellations of after school activities, events and field trips.
Other information worth noting:
· Delayed start times are not logistically feasible in Saint Paul Public Schools.
· In order to ensure students’ safe transport home to their families, early dismissal times are not logistically possible in Saint Paul Public Schools.
· The Superintendent may decide to close schools for extreme wind chill conditions. The same protocol as listed above will be followed.
· Outside recess activities are cancelled at zero degrees temperature and/or wind chill.
Please dress children appropriately for winter weather conditions.
If you have questions, contact your school administrator or the district.
If your child or children need warm winter clothing, check with school principals for assistance.
Call the community assistance agency “First Call for Help” at 211.
Daniel Mesick, Principal | 740 Rose Ave W, St Paul, MN 55117 | (651) 293-8800 | Get Directions
Grades: 9-12 Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 2 p.m. Fax: (651) 293-8806